Sunday, April 1, 2012

Unleashing the HO-CAT

So, I've been working on a Duel-Sport route for a while.  Or should I say, I've been wanting a Duel-Sport route for a while.   When I have a chance, say, on the way home from work or an hour here and there I like to explore the area around me.  I've ridden some really nice dirt roads and consider myself lucky to have them.  Yeah, it's not the Rockies, not even the Blue ridge.  But It's what I've got and I'm going the make the best of it!

Recently, at an ADV monthly dinner, someone called for a ride.  I volunteered, and the Heart of Colleton Adventure Trail was born.  (I thought HO-CAT was a funny acronym too!)   I pieced the trail together practically at the last minute.  I had an idea mind you, it wasn't totally haphazard.  But I hadn't ridden the trail as a loop yet.

Kickstands up! Time to ride the HO-CAT
Here we are getting ready to go. Let's see, we have two KLR650's, one Wee Strom,  one DR650, one GS1200, my Tiger. Oh yeah, a Bandit 1200 and a SV650.  This is gonna be good!

The HO-CAT proved itself to be a formidable adventure trail indeed.  Incorporating all of the necessary ingredients for adventure riding, the HO-CAT supplied us with sand, deep sand, mud and wet clay.  Those guys on street bikes were not happy!

Intermixed with the treacherous trail   of  the HO-CAT were stunning views of South Carolina ecology.  Most of the HO-CAT navigates Pine plantations (you know, timber production) but intermixed with the silviculture is beautiful bottomland hardwoods, swamps, creeks, basic agriculture and some unique home sites.  Sorry, I didn't have time to stop and take many pictures while leading the group. There's plenty of photographic opportunities still so I'm planning another expedition of the trail soon.  You haven't heard the last of the HO-CAT!

Waiting for the rest of the crowd...

No comments:

Post a Comment