Sunday, October 16, 2011

In the beginning...

"Red Dragon", my 2008 KLR 650 (sold)
     It all started when I decided that the fuel I could save with a motorcycle, would pay for the motorcycle.  Brilliant logic in my mind. I had experience with motorcycles,  back in grammar school that is.  (A Honda XR80, what fun that was!) I figured I could handle it, so off to the DMV for a learners permit.  Under the sage advice of my brother-in-law, I purchased a 2008 Kawasaki KLR650. It was a love hate relationship from day one.  

     The day I took delivery, was also my first adventure.  A 50 mile trip to the family lake house for the fourth of July holiday.  My mom was completely shocked!   So was I.  I was thrilled by the open road, the pavement rushing by my feet, and the freedom and simplicity of man and bike.  But the buffeting and vibrations!  I thought to myself, "Well, it's a motorcycle, it is supposed to be windy and loud.  I'm sure the vibrations are normal."  I never rode the XR80 on the highway, and I had no other experience to measure the KLR by.  I consoled myself with the thought that while the rider comfort sucked, the experience more than made up for it.  I was in love with the experience.  I spent the weekend with the family, showing off my new motorcycle.  I got away for a few short rides.  Acquainting myself with shifting, braking and numb hands.  It was big fun! 

     Fast forward 18500 miles and three years later...  I'm now fully licensed, well acquainted with motorcycling and the nuances of the KLR.  I added luggage, a windshield and seat.  I rode in rain, cold and heat.  I mastered maintenance and discomfort. I appreciated the KLR's personality. It was honest, and never let me down.  

      My main commuter vehicle is now a motorcycle.  Two years at 60 miles a day, the last year 106 miles a day. I had many adventures, but no real trips, save one to Deals Gap.  That's right, the Dragon on a KLR hence the name. (More on this later.)  I've had tons of fun with the KLR, I'm committed to the motorcycle thing and it's time for a change.

My new bike has a British accent!
     The entire time I rode the KLR, I longed for more comfort.  Call me names if you must, but I'm on my bike a lot and life is too short.  I loved the go anywhere design of the KLR, so my next bike had to have the same qualities.  Even though the 1200cc Adventure bikes are really nice, I didn't want a heavy bike.  I'm an individual too, so the thought of riding a GS was a little confining.  Lucky me, the new class of Adventure Touring bikes is blooming,  the middle weights as they are called.  I did my research, and found my next bike.  The Triumph Tiger 800XC.  Let the new era begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment